Tuesday, August 19, 2008

suffering

The Bible talks a lot about suffering. Like many things, the Bible's take on suffering is pretty much opposite of the way our culture thinks of it.

In Romans 5, Paul says


"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."


-In Colossians, Paul rejoices in his sufferings. (Colossians 1:24)

-In 2 Timothy, he challenges us to join in on the suffering for the gospel (2 Timothy 1:8)

-1 Peter seems to be almost entirely about suffering!

-1 Peter 4:13 tells us that sharing in Christ's suffering means we can rejoice when His glory is revealed.

-1 Peter 5:9 tells us that we aren't the only ones suffering.

We all know the greatest suffering was on the cross, and we know the significance of that.

I love the way it is portrayed in Hebrews 2:10:

"For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings."

Today, another verse, 1 Corinthians 12:26 is especially important to me.

This weekend I received a letter from a missions organization we supported, Voice of the Martyrs. From what I have learned, they are an awesome ministry. At the end of the typed letter there was a handwritten note that said

Walk with them.
1 Cor. 12:26

It really felt personal and almost prophetic. I guess because it was hand written and I happened to be reading in 1 Corinthians, and today I happened to be in Chapter 12. So, when I read the verse today, I enjoyed it, but it didn't really hit me until about 10 minutes afterwards.

"And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it."

My immediate thought was about all the Christians suffering out there and I don't feel like the church suffers with them... I know I don't. But mainly because I don't know how.


So I wrote in my Bible, "I want to suffer more with the church, I want to rejoice more with the church".

I closed my Bible and headed to work.


About 10 minutes later I learned about an accident through the radio. An aquaintanance/friend of mine and another man were in a bad accident while serving as missionaries in India.

The other man, an OSU student named Justin, was killed.

John Miller, a guy Stephanie and I have both met a couple of times, is in critical condition in a hospital in Hyderabad India.

John and both their families are suffering, quite literally for the kingdom of God and I badly want to suffer more with them. While my heart hurts badly, there is nothing more that I know to do but pray for them.


You can read about the accident by clicking here.

What does it all mean? I don't know. But I know we are called to suffer with the church and rejoice with the church. And the church is millions of people around the world and I often forget about all the suffering that I'm missing out on.


I pray my opinion of suffering can become more like the Bible's and more like Christ's.


Please suffer in prayer with me about these guys, and about the thousands of Christians who are persecuted every day for their faith.


No comments:

Share |

Subscribe via Email

Subscribe to blunt