Friday, August 1, 2008

intimacy with your father

I am blessed almost every day to be able to spend intimate time with my heavenly father.  It is easily the most important moment of every day.  I am changed by it every time.  I am transformed in so many ways.  I am rewarded for spending precious time with God.  Sometimes, I am almost in tears at the closeness I feel with my father.  The peace and joy that comes from it, it is the fulfillment of so many promises in the Bible.

Yet, for some reason I don't do it every day, and sometimes I go several days without spending intimate time with God.
Why?  Generally, when we are rewarded for something so powerfully, we are drawn to doing it more and more.  We drink coffee because we are rewarded with open eyes, we fix our hair/put make-up on because we are rewarded with more confidence that day (and the lack of punishment from society).

So... why do we reject such a rewarding experience in spending time with our father.  Why do we not do this 2 or 4 times a day?  How can we survive without it?

For some, it is because they have never experienced this rewarding moment. Either they do not know that the God of the universe is so easily accessible or can't believe that He is.  And for others, like myself, some days we are just so wrapped up in a world that constantly tells us that we can't do that.
The world says:

We can't because we don't have time...
We can't because it's hard...
We can't because it's crazy...
We can't because we may become uncomfortable...

It's time for me.  I don't have an hour to spend being "unproductive"!  At least that is what the world and the enemy tell me every hour of every day...
I so easily forget that spending time with God is by far the MOST productive thing I ever do.

I am reminded every time that in God's presence is where I belong and where life is best.  

Yet, I am reminded by the world around me many more times about how busy I am and about how many other things there are I could be doing.
I could be working, relaxing, sleeping, watching that show I wanted to watch, playing that game, or whatever else we enjoy doing.  There is nothing wrong with these things, I just am never moved by them the way that God moves me every time I give Him my time.

If you have never had an experience with God like this or are just struggling to make time for it or just don't know exactly how... here are some steps that help me.

Practical Steps:

1. STOP - Psalm 46:10 says "Be still, and know that I am God".  You have to force yourself to stop everything, just stop for a minute and let your mind rest, and trust that you are not going to regret spending this time with God.  Don't say that you will wait until there is a better time... just stop whatever you are doing and make time... I have never regretted that or fell behind in life because I gave time to God.

2. Pray - Start out by just being honest with God.  Even if its your first time to pray in a long time or ever.  He knows you so well, just tell Him the truth about whatever.  "God, I hear that time with you is rewarding, so I'm gonna give it a try.."  Maybe thank Him for something you love: your grandpa, your dog, sunsets, the beach, or even the internet.  
And then just simply ask Him to draw near to you... say: "I want to spend time with you, so please come join me and draw near to me Lord"
And if you want, continue to pray about whatever is on your heart or going on in your life.
Remember to be honest - you don't have to impress God, and you can't even if you try... He made you the way you are and He's proud of it, so you should be too.

3. Read the Bible - If you stop and think about it, its pretty crazy that we have the Word of God so readily accessible.  But what is even more crazy is that we NEVER read it!!!  If you truly believe it is the word of God (the all powerful and all knowing God) how in the world could you resist reading it all the time... talk about a page turner...  
Well, unfortunately there are all sorts of reasons we don't enjoy it sometimes.  My advice about reading the Bible is to take it slow and get help in understanding it.  
For help understanding read two versions: NIV and The Message for example... you can find it all online!  www.biblegateway.com 
OR use a study bible.
But most importantly, allow the Holy Spirit to give you understanding.  
How do you do that?....take it slow....

In elementary school I was competitive about how fast I could read.  And all through school we are trained to read quickly and to skim through pages and chapters of text books and novels alike.  We are forced to hurry by the pace of life. I think often we read the Bible like that... just slow down and read one verse at a time.  Take each word at the value it has- it's gold to our spirit!

If you read and understand only 2 verses a day, it is worth more than reading the whole Bible without any recall or understanding.

4. Do it now.. 

Spending time with God is my favorite thing to do.. but, unfortunately I often forget how great it is.  If you've forgotten or you never knew... try it now.  
You won't regret it.


Good songs I listened to while writing this:

"Yearn" - Shane and Shane -AWESOME website!

No comments:

Share |

Subscribe via Email

Subscribe to blunt